SEJONG and ISHIOKA in geodetic VLBI experiment r1775

Postfit residuals of group delays computed with Fourfit at all baselines with SEJONG in geodetic experiment r1775 has a large scatter with peak-to_peak variations 1.5 ns after processing with Fourfit:

A similar situation was in r1774 experiment one week before. The scatter of post-fit residuals was large at all baselines, but with ISHIOKA. Why the postfit residuals at ISHIOKA/SEGONG were normal (well, normal in VLBI2010 system means only a factor of two worse than it was 10 years ago)? The correlator output did not have cross-spectrum for IFs 12-16 for baselines with ISIHOKA. Therefore, group delays at ISHIOKA/SEGONG were computed using IFs 7-11.

I re-fringed data with PIMA and confirmed large scatter for baselines with SEJONG. I disabled phase-cal at both ISHIOKA (the phase-cal signal was not present, and I am not sure whether the unit is installed at all) and at SEJONG. But I found another peculiarity: a saw-like pattern in group delays at ISHIOKA:

Group delays computed with Fourfit did not show such a pattern.

I made step forward and ran two fringe fitting: with using IFs 7-11 and with using IFs 12-16. The reference frequency for the first variant is 8.20499 GHz and 8.73299 GHz for the second variant. Using the estimates of the group delay I transferred fringe phase from 8.73299 GHz down to 8.20499 ( φ2(f1) = φ2(f2) + 2π * (f2 - f1) * τgr ) and made a plot of differences in fringe phases computed over IFs 12-16 minus fringe phases computed over IFs 7-11. The plot of dependencies of these phase differences in time is shown below:

For comparison a similar plot for the baseline NYALES20/WETTZELL in the same scale:

Similar plot at ISHIOKA/KOKEE reveals the saw-pattern, similar to that we saw in the group delays:

After removal of a trend -1.007 × 10-3 rad/s, the residual phase differences look normal:

This looks very strange. IFs 7-11 and IFs 12-16 are fed with different cables. It looks like phase in the cable that brings IFs 12-16 drifts with respect to the phase in the cable that brings IFs 7-11. But the most puzzling is that why we do not see this phenomena in Fourfits output.

Cure

Just to mask out IFs 12-16 at ISHIOKA and SEJONG. Then, oh miracle, the scatter of group delay residuals at baselines with SEJONG decreases by a factor of 5:

Compare it with the plot at the beginning of the document (they are in the same scale). And the saw-like pattern at ISHIOKA is gone.

And yes, this trick helps to rescue SEJONG data in r1774 experiment as well.

Conclusions?

Looks like some hardware defect causes phase jitter between IFs 7-11 and IFs 12-16. Sang-Oh reported a bad cable or a bad contact related to phase-cal. We see that the problem is not related to the phase-cal signal directly: disabling phase-cal still does not help. Though it may have the same origin. Or it we may have two different problems.

SEJONG in geodetic VLBI experiments r1772/r1773

I reprocessed r1772 and r1773 experiments with SEJONG.
I did not find anything worth mentioning in r1773. It look normal for an antenna with SEFD around 3000-4000 Jy. Phase differences of IFs 7-11 versus IFs 12-16 look normal:

Experiment r1773 experimetns with SEJONG shows changes during last three hours, specifically after 2016.12.26_14:02. Phase cal shows jumps:

Post-fit residuals also shows jumps and large scattering. Re-fringing witth pcal disabled for SEJONG does not bring residuals to normal.

Phase differences of IFs 7-11 versus IFs 12-16 at SEJONG/TSUKUB32 without pcal applied shows linear trend and jumps after 2016.12.26_14:02

Applying phase-cal reduces trend by a factor of 4 but does not eliminate jumps:

These jumps spoils X-band group delays. Here are X-band post-fit residuals:

but they do not spoil S-band group delay residuals:

Which group of Ifs: 7-11 or 12-16 is to blame? Here are X-band residuals computed from IFs 7-11

and here are X-band residuals computed from IFs 12-16

They look normal.

We see phase shift between IFs 7-11 and 12-16. While the phase-shift is constant, it is calibrated when complext bandpass iscomputed. A drift of phase shift was mainly compensated with phase-cal. However the phase shift started to jump after 14:02 and these jumps were not compensated by phase-cal. The phase shifts did not affect group delay computed over 7-11 and 12-16 IFs, but it affected group delay computed over IFs 7-16.

Back to Leonid Petrov's discussion page.

Last update: 2017.02.16_21:15:44
Web page was prepared by Leonid Petrov ()