LBA Calibrator survey: 1st experiment correlation is finished results are available

Dear colleagues,

  The correlation of v254b is finished. I made a preliminary analysis
and derived positions of 121 sources. The catalogue of source positions
and the correlator output can be found at the updated project web page
http://vlbi.gsfc.nasa.gov/lcs . We are still waiting for system temperature
data from Parkes. Except, this the data are ready for imaging. Later,
I will compute and apply the ionosphere contribution based on TEC estimates
from GPS and then the final catalogue will be produced. I do not anticipate
applying the ionosphere contribution will shift sources positions more
than 2 sigmas i.e. 4-6 mas.

  I have already commented the experiment. Group delay ambiguities were
successfully resolved. I scheduled each source in three observations instead
of t scans per source in VLBA Calibrator Surveys. Analysis confirmed that
it was right strategy. For three source with less than 10 observations
(i.e. a source was detected in two scans, but at some baselines it was
missing) group delay ambiguity resolution in the preliminary solution was
wrong. According to our previous experience with VLBA, 7 detections were
sufficient to rule out an error in ambiguity resolution. For LBA data with
7 times smaller ambiguity spacing and 5 times smaller network, this limit
should be raised to 10-13. Changes in scheduling algorithm that require the
interval between scans be no less than 4 hours will reduce the probability
that the error in ambiguity resolution will be unnoticed. Anyway,
30 detections (3 scans at 5 stations) are sufficient.

  The second experiment v271a was observed last Sunday, 2008.08.10. Hope,
we will see results this year.

Sincerely,
Leonid Petrov
13-AUG-2008 18:51:39