Prelimiary results from the 1st LBA Calibrator Survey experiment

Dear colleagues,

  This morning Alessandra sent to me preliminary results of correlation v254b
experiment, the first from the series of the LBA Calibrator Survey targeted
to the sources at delcinations [-90, -50] deg.. I could not restrain myself
from analyzing that partial correlator output. What I saw was I so amazing
that I thought I am day-dreaming. I scheduled 123 sources, all 123 were
observed, and 121 have been detected. The success rate is 98.4%!!! In previous
surveys, the success rate was in the range 60-85%.

  I did not have significant difficulties in resolving group delay
ambiguities (with spacing 3.9 ns, another world record). The only
problem I noticed is that clock function at Ceduna shows significant
instability: http://vlbi.gsfc.nasa.gov/lcs/v254b/res+clock_all.gif
and http://vlbi.gsfc.nasa.gov/lcs/v254b/res+clock_ceduna.mopra.gif
(Clock function was bad in Parkes in the previous v230 experiment).

  The listing of the solution is accessible at
http://vlbi.gsfc.nasa.gov/lcs/v254b/v254b_prel.spl

  The source position catalogue -- very preliminary! -- is accessible at
http://vlbi.gsfc.nasa.gov/lcs/v254b/v254b_prel.cat
Only one source, 1833-772, has a dubious position.

  The formal uncertainties for declination are in the range of 1.5-2.5 mas
for > 90% of the sources, for right ascensions * cos(delta) they are 20-80%
larger. Later I will try to apply model of the ionosphere from GPS.

  These results confirm the validity of selected strategy of observations.
I think we can stick to this scheduling strategy, except increase the
minimum gap between observations of the same source from 1 hour to 4 hours.
This should help to improve right ascensions. Again, sensitivity is
very important. Sources in v271a will be in general weaker.

  CERTAINLY, MORE DISKPACKS WOULD HELP A LOT.

  Chris, we promised in our proposal to make results available as soon as
they will be correlated -- in fact we made them available even before. :-)
Feel free to provide the link http://vlbi.gsfc.nasa.gov/lcs/ to interested
parties.

Sincerely,
Leonid Petrov