Re: The second version of the LCS-2010 proposal

Hi Leonid,

I agree with you... the WARK12M sensitivity will be only ~3500Jy... as you note only likely to be useful with Parkes 64m baselines...

And it will complicate scheduling somewhat...

The same comments will also apply to ASKAP antennas... and to the new AuScope antennas... all 12m.

These will be useful for imaging follow-ups of stronger sources..

In the cover sheet of the proposal we mention 512 Mbps data rates (8 x 16 MHz), which we can achieve with a combination of Mk5 and LBA systems. In the proposal 1 Gbps is mentioned... currently this can only be achieved by LBADR as 4 x 64 MHz... and in the Mk5s as 16 x 16 MHz?
These could be possibly done in DiFX2.0 but it'll complicate things a lot...

Can we make sure that we clarify exactly what we want??

Cheers
Tasso

On 13/12/2010, at 9:16 AM, Leonid Petrov wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>
>> I notice we are not asking for Warkworth - shouldn't we?
>
>  Chris, can you comment? First, can we ask for WARK12M? I do not
> know what will be its SEFD. Considering SEFD 3000 Jy, detection limit
> at the WARK12M/PARKES will be 30 mJy, and 300-600 mJy at other
> baselines with WAR12M. Expected correlated flux densities of observed
> sources will be in the range 30--120 mJy. Therefore, we can detect
> the majority of calibrators at all baselines with WARK12M, but we can
> detect targets only at the baseline with Parkes. Is it worth efforts?
>
>> I should have the dual affiliation:
>>
>> Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory and
>> York University, Canada
>
>  I did not find a way how I can specify a double affiliation with OPAL.
> Suggestions?
>
>  I incorporated all other comments.
>
> Leonid
> 12-DEC-2010 17:10:39

Tasso Tzioumis,  Australia Telescope National Facility, CSIRO
Location: Cnr Pembroke & Vimiera Rds, Marsfield, NSW, 2122, AUSTRALIA
Post:     PO Box 76, Epping, NSW 1710, AUSTRALIA
Phone:    +61 2 9372 4350   Fax:  +61 2 9372 4450 or 4310
Email:    Tasso.Tzioumis@xxxxxxxx

Archive of LCS project forum    Message 00071